A Shot of Me

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sweet & Spicy Fried Lamb (Empal Kambing)

I didnt like lamb normally, but sometimes I had to cook and serve it for my hubby & daddy. I took times before I could acquire that smelly meat on my appetite. Yes right, the flavour, was my biggest reason to dislike it.
I also hate to see it immersed in coconut milk, such as lamb curry and gulai. I think coconut milk makes its smell get stronger :P Spiced up with lots of herbs and spices is one of my ways to reduce its smell. I then prefer to cook it simply by grilling, roasting, frying or as clear soup. That's the way I try to start enjoying it.
I just made this sweet fried lamb this morning. You can roast it as final touch instead of frying. I forgot to sprinkle some crispy fried onion and vegetable pickles to serve with, but it's okay, you can just serve it with your fave condiments. Mayonnaise, brown sauce, peanut sauces, soy sauce, plum sauce, any condiments in your cupboard will be very good to it.

SWEET & SPICY FRIED LAMB
Ingredients:
300 gr lamb (I choose round)
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
5 cm cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
500 ml water
Ground into a paste:
5 shallots (or one small onion)
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp toasted corriander
3 kaffir lime leaves
Method:
Heat water to a full boil, add in lamb and all other ingredients.
Reduce the heat to simmer until lamb is half cooked.
Drain the lamb, cut into slices and put them back to the boiling broth. Continue to cook over low heat with the lid half opened until the liquid is reduced and the meat is tender.
Remove from heat, drain the meat slices and fry until golden brown.
Serve warm with vegetables and your fave condiments.


Indonesian version
EMPAL KAMBING
Bahan:
300 gr daging kambing muda (gue pilih paha belakang bagian atas)
2 lembar daun jeruk
1 batang sereh, geprak
5 cm kayumanis
1 sdt garam
1 sdm gula pasir
1 sdm air jeruk nipis or lemon
500 ml air
Bumbu halus:
5 butir bawang merah
3 siung bawang putih
2 sdt ketumbar sangrai
3 lembar daun jeruk
Cara:
Didihkan air, masukin kambing dan bahan-bahan yang lain.
Rebus dengan api kecil dan setengah tertutup sampai kambing setengah empuk.
Angkat kambing, iris2 sesuai selera, kembalikan ke perebus. Lanjutkan memasak dengan api kecil dan setengah tertutup hingga air menyusut dan kambing empuk.
Matikan api, tiriskan kambing berbumbu. Goreng hingga kekuningan.
Sajikan dengan sayuran dan saus sesuai selera.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...